Saturday, December 9, 2006

Why not get an Xbox 360, seriously?


I have been to all the launch events; Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3. I’ve seen what each has offered from day 1. I even gave the Xbox 360 a year to see what Microsoft would come up with. So I waited and now I’ve decided.

When I first saw the Xbox 360 I was definitely wowed by the graphics but I had faith Sony would show something better after their demonstrations at E3. I was not even considering Nintendo until the Wii-mote was unveiled. Going to the Nintendo Wii event, I discovered how much fun the Wii was, the graphics were shitty but the remote won my heart. Sadly I walked into the Playstation 3 launch expecting something really great and walked out very bored and disappointed. All I saw was an Xbox 360 wrapped in black with a label saying Playstation 3. It was the same damn thing, nothing superior in graphics. I’m sorry fan boys, you love Sony, but the launch titles sucked and the graphics were just okay after seeing what the Xbox 360 had at launch. If Sony really wanted to wow people they would have tried just a little harder at making a game with graphics showing the true potential of the PS3, instead they coupled the same GUI found on the PSP and threw out crappy first titles with boring gameplay. I think Sony has forgotten that great graphics only take you so far, it’s the games that matter most. If it feels like shit playing it, why bother with graphics. Oh and since you can already get the third party games for the PS3 on the Xbox 360, why cough out your money for the PS3 if it looks the same anyway. For the Blu-ray player, enforcing the Blu-ray format? Seriously HD-DVD and Blu-ray look the exact same, it doesn’t even matter! I’ve tested them both.

As for the Nintendo Wii, it’s great! But the selection of choices on it are still limited and I would like to see what more innovative and original games Nintendo throws out in the next year. Wii Sports isn’t enough for me to buy the console yet.

Now we come back to the Xbox 360; 1 year out with a strong established online community. A lot of great titles, more specifically Gears of War and the upcoming Too Human and Halo 3 games. If anything it’s the continuous blockbuster games Microsoft is dishing out each year that have won me over to the Xbox 360. These games look fantastic in graphics, but tend to be even greater in gameplay. They are just so damn fun to play, and they are only on the Xbox 360! And they make great use of cinematic elements. Yes I’m sure Sony will throw out some cool looking games with decent gameplay later, but it’s too late. I want to play great games now; I don’t want to wait anymore. If you're tired of waiting, get an Xbox 360, I know I am.

Update:
Here is a performance comparison of the Xbox 360 vs. PS3 - guess which one is better (source: IGN)

Thanks Kevin.

No comments: