Friday, December 1, 2006

360 to benefit from console shortages?


You can't help but wonder how long before people become totally fed up with waiting to get their hands on PS3's and Wii's and opt for picking up a 360. Sometimes companies ship fewer systems in order to increase hype around the release, however, I'd question the intelligence behind the decision (especially by Sony) to ship so few. It seems Microsoft may have been prepared for this and are quite happy with the console shortage in North America. Recently Microsoft executives let it be known that they intend to try and have 10 million Xbox 360s sold wordwide by the end of the holiday season.

As if losing potential sales isn't bad enough, if quantities remain low, it is most likely that potential PS3'ers will pick up a 360 this holiday season (simply because they target the same audience). This is even worse news for Sony, as Microsoft's Xbox HD-DVD add on for $200 is definitely a much easier alternative to purchasing a bluray player- especially for those who have already picked up an Xbox for the holidays.

Though this sounds like bad news for Sony, Nintendo caters to a different audience, and from the looks of their sales, they seem to have everything under control (outselling the PS3 2-1). It remains to be seen however how both Sony and Nintendo put up with the upcoming holiday demand. If you want to make sure you get your hands on a console this holiday season, the 360 will definitely be your best bet - which may have been Microsoft's strategy all along.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm living proof. I picked up a 360 becuase I couldn't get my hands on a PS3... Ironically I will get a wii with the money I saved.

PS3 + game = 659.99
Xbox + game + wii + game = 659.99

Unknown said...

i guess i agree...I am going to finish selling my PS3 on ebay and buy a 360 with the profit. I have and love my PS2, but i am not a fanboy of it or any other console. They all have their ups and downs. I like good games, and thats the bottom line. I don't like Sony electronics, but i like their playstation 1 & 2. i don't like Microsoft (I am an Apple user), but i am sure i will like the 360. And if (and hopefully when), Sony finally gets it together, i am sure i will pick up the PS3 so i have the best of both worlds. Why discriminate, right? Especially if at least one of the consoles i own doesn't cost me anything. Maybe by then PS3 will drop a little in price. I used to like nintendo, but lost interest a long time ago. recently, i have tried the Wii, but lose interest in it quickly, but thats just me...