Sunday, November 26, 2006

Watch Out Parents, LeetSpeak is DANGEROUS!



I just have to laugh at this. I was cruising www.digg.com earlier today and caught this article while it was hot. (Direct link to the video can be found here) Its amazing what people believe is dangerous in our time. The world has become a very unstable place when parents and 'internet safety experts' are concerned about me using 3's for E's, better watch out.

For starters, it's not meant to be covert conversation. Its just people typing things and it's really not that difficult to translate. You just look at the entire word, and low and behold, it's right there in front of you. Kind of like, uh, reading! The clip goes on to talk about online translators and dictionaries. My god people, this isn't the plague or some terrorist organization. It's your kids, and they are just talking.

I remember when I was a young buck, I'd replace E's with 3's when I wanted to pretend I was being nerdy. It's not like I'm trying to secretly converse with my fellow trouble makers in a devious plot to take over the world or anything. I could see it being interesting to some psychologists or maybe even sociologists, but as far as danger goes, leetspeak ranks up there with living in your parents basement for eternity. I wouldn't worry too much.

Jason out.

1 comment:

Leo said...

On a related note, it looks like New Zealand school authorities are already making a splash by embracing text messaging shorthand. As an English major, I'm torn; this really is a travesty for education in the English language, but it gives me a kick to see how technology influences education.